Full-Time UpBuild: Senior Marketing Strategist (Remote)
Headquarters: Portland, Oregon, United States
Hi. We’re UpBuild and we’re looking to add another awesome person to our team. UpBuild has been hard at work becoming an established agency over the last six years, and the time has come for us to expand our team by bringing on another talented Senior Marketing Strategist — a role that is the pillar upon which the company is built.
UpBuild exists so that driven and passionate technical marketers (i.e., people who love bridging the gap between marketing and web technology) can do their best work, in their ideal environment, for clients whom they’re excited to work for. We’re hiring for a very experienced role here, so folks coming from an agency background are likely going to be a good fit. We’ve had incredible team members come from in-house backgrounds, too.
So what makes us different from places you may have been in the past?
- Intentional Workload: Senior Marketing Strategists are capped at 4 clients (that’s 4, not 40). We want you to be able to focus on your clients intensely for the sake of their success and your own sanity.
- Control Your Destiny: We vote on every prospective client before we ever send out a proposal. Ensuring that the whole team thinks there’s a good mutual fit and is stoked about every client we engage with is a win-win; for the team and our clients.
- A Distributed Team: We’re 100% remote, which means you can work from wherever you work best and be part of a natively digital team (at this time, we’re only able to hire people who are eligible for full-time employment in the United States, although we hope to change that at some point in the future).
- Build a Better Company: We’re shamelessly idealistic. At UpBuild, you’ll get to be a part of changing what it means to work at a marketing agency.
Our mission as a company is to make the old digital marketing agency model obsolete by building an alternative that’s better in every way. We won’t accomplish that just by talking and blogging about it; we’ve got to prove it through our hard work, our amazing client relationships, and our results. We want you to join the cause and help us accomplish that.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a rare mix of Account Manager and in-the-weeds Strategist. Did we mention we don’t have an account management layer here? A Senior Marketing Strategist works directly with a client to get to the heart of their marketing problem(s), architects a solution, communicates recommendations back to the client, and then works with them to make sure things get done.
The ideal candidate is frustrated when SEO initiatives get held up by process and bureaucracy. They realize that weekly and sometimes even monthly reporting is frequently an inefficient use of time. They legitimately feel bad about not being able to get results for a client. They go out of their way to learn from and help the people they work with. They want to get their hands dirty, and maybe dream of being able to do what they love for a select few clients and focus on them intensively instead of being underwater all the time.
As passionate optimizers, we’re always interested in optimizing our own processes, as well. To that end, we’re especially interested in candidates with some development and programming experience under their belts, who never met a repeated process they didn’t want to automate, and whose catchphrase is “I bet I could build a tool for that.” A candidate with this experience would likely spend a good portion of their first few months helping us document, automate, and optimize our processes as that candidate learns them.
Oh, and while they love what we do in the office, the UpBuild team’s lives are much more than what we do for our paychecks. The ideal candidate has interests outside of the office, hobbies, a family, aspirations to travel the world, or just a long streaming queue. They value being able to do great work and hustle while they’re clocked in but want to be able to check out and “go home” at the end of the day. UpBuild believes that helping team members do fulfilling work, manage stress, and promote balance in their lives is just as important as providing training and tools — it’s part of how we were named TInyPulse’s Happiest Company in the marketing and advertising category.
Interested to learn more? Get in touch!
About the Position
Senior Marketing Strategists have an extremely important role to play in UpBuild’s success. Each Senior Marketing Strategist:
- works independently, but is never in it alone — we call ourselves a team for a reason;
- is the point person on 3 to 4 client accounts, which means they:
- are responsible for client communication and satisfaction,
- own most of the day-to-day work,
- work with the Vice President of Strategy and/or the Senior Strategy Lead to plan overall direction on accounts, and
- delegate tasks to supporting team members and provide them with thoughtful direction and feedback;
- brings in-depth expertise in SEO, analytics, and conversion rate optimization to the organization;
- thinks creatively and critically to make their deliverables the best they can be and to delight their clients;
- contributes to UpBuild’s thought leadership in the space through blogging, tool development, webinars, public speaking, and/or other comparable initiatives;
- is a vital part of the UpBuild team, providing support and collaborating with other Senior Marketing Strategists;
- spends time learning, independently and with the UpBuild team, taking classes, and attending conferences and webinars;
- under normal circumstances, may need to travel (paid by us, of course) a few times per year for client visits and/or company retreats (aside from one optional in-person team event in 2022, no other travel is expected this year);
- likes the sound of a $60k to $70k starting annual salary range.
What you should know about us:
- After six years, we still consider ourselves a startup and are entirely funded by the work we do for our amazing clients;
- our idealistic goal is a pretty simple one: to supplant the old digital marketing agency model by building an alternative that’s better in every way;
- we’re a distributed team and are pretty flexible with work hours;
- in keeping with the above, we’re focused on delivering results, meeting our deadlines, and making our clients’ lives easier/better; we don’t use “hours worked” as a metric for job performance;
- our senior team members (who define and execute strategy and also handle account management) work exclusively on 3 or 4 accounts — that’s a promise to our clients and to our team;
- we literally vote on every sales lead before we write a proposal — if we’re not excited about working for a client, it’s not right to cash their checks;
- we’re constantly learning from each other, asking each other for help, and showing each other new and better ways to get things done;
- we’re continually working on exploring and adding new benefits to make your work life better.
As someone who could excel in this position, you:
- are excited about the potential of joining an already successful startup and helping it grow into its next chapter;
- take extreme pride in your work and thrive in an environment that recognizes your contributions;
- are intrinsically motivated to help others do well (both clients and team members);
- consider yourself a shameless idealist (everyone at UpBuild is) and want to spend your days working on something that matters, with people who care about it;
- want to work for an organization that values work-life balance and positive company culture (not just one that pays lip service to the idea by talking about it a lot) and are excited about the challenges of joining a distributed team;
- have read through UpBuild’s core values and are stoked to start using them in your day-to-day decision making.
Over the course of your career, you:
- have worked in SEO for 3 years or more, preferably with at least some of that time spent in an agency setting;
- have proven expertise in our core disciplines: analytics and SEO. Preferably, you also have experience in complementary disciplines such as CRO, authority building, or content strategy as well;
- have a demonstrated knowledge of web technology including most of the below:
- Website or web app development using major CMS platforms (e.g. WordPress, Drupal, Magento, Shopify)
- Basic server-side scripting (e.g. PHP, Python)
- have a working understanding of how websites are built and function (HTML, CSS, information architecture, etc);
- can explain to a non-developer what the building blocks of a website are, how indexable content is delivered to a search bot or human website user, what cookies are, and how analytics data is collected, etc.
- are proficient in using:
- Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, & Search Console;
- Site crawl tools such as Screaming Frog or DeepCrawl;
- Spreadsheets (doesn’t have to be Excel; we use Google Docs for everything);
- SEO tools (such as Moz, SEMRush, Majestic, Raven, Ahrefs — everyone uses different tools in different ways, but you should understand what these tools are and how to use them to do what you need to do);
- have experience speaking at public events, writing blog posts, and/or finding unique and creative ways to use web technology for digital marketing;
- get huge bonus points if you have experience/interest in
- marketing automation,
- headless browsing,
- mobile app development,
- progressive web apps,
- Angular, React, Gatsby, or other JS Frameworks,
- analyzing log files,
- website personalization,
- data visualization,
- user experience,
- Chrome extension development,
- REST APIs, or
- machine learning.
Formal education in marketing, business, data science, etc. is great, but not required. The same goes for having a college degree — no one gets a degree in digital optimization or web analytics anyway. A track record of getting exceptional results, successfully managing client/team relationships, and being stoked about startup culture and optimization is what really counts.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary, starting between $60,000 and $70,000 (plus bonuses and benefits)
- Flexible schedule (office hours are 9 AM until 2:30 PM Pacific Monday-Friday, other than that you’re free to get your work done when it works best for you)
- Progressive PTO policy & paid holidays — 24+ days off per year
- 8+ weeks family leave for new parents (with plans to increase as we grow)
- Annual Home Office Allowance of $500 to use on your personal workspace
- Ongoing education & training opportunities (e.g., conferences, CodeAcademy, tuition reimbursement)
- Quarterly profit sharing & bonus plan
- 100% Health & Dental/100% for spouses and registered domestic partners
- 401(k) with matching
- Co-working allowance to spend on whatever outside-the-house working environment works for you, whether that’s a co-working space or coffee at the local coffee shop
- Remote working (i.e., full control of the office thermostat, choice of music, no commuting) — you don’t have to worry about our “return to office” plan because we’ve been fully distributed from day 1
61 total views, 1 today