4 Mar 2022
Freelance CliffsNotes: Book Designer
Headquarters: New Jersey
CliffsNotes, a Course Hero company, is looking for a freelance Book Designer to join our team. You will be responsible for the design and production of educational non-fiction books in several genres. You will work closely and collaboratively with the product team to invigorate and repair older book files and to create new book files, in accordance with the brand’s aesthetic style and design standards.
This is a fully remote position and is limited to applicants who are legally authorized to work in the US or Canada.
This contract position reports to the Product Operations Manager on the LitCharts team. LitCharts, another Course Hero company, manages the CliffsNotes website and brand.
As our Book Designer, you will:
- Help to develop and establish, using the current branding as a guide, a revitalized brand style and aesthetic for each of the CliffsNotes sub-series
- Conceptualize, with input from the team, and design new interior and cover templates to revitalize each of the CliffsNotes sub-series, including series-specific logos and art, with the help of the design team
- Design and typeset interiors and covers for new titles that meet technical print requirements (bleeds, slugs, separations, etc.), are based on market research, design trends, and with buy-in/assistance from design team and publishing team
- Prepare file deliverables that meet printing and archiving requirements for both paperback and ebook
- Check all files for print errors, widows, orphans, etc., and approve all proofs for publication
- Know or learn technical print requirements for Ingram Spark
- Collaborate with the publishing team to develop and improve publishing production processes and schedules to make it as efficient and effective as possible
This might be the right job for you if you:
- Are proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign and Acrobat, and occasionally Illustrator, sufficient to completing complex page compositions
- Are knowledgeable of typography and typesetting and art direction for non-fiction books
- Have solid knowledge of print process and preflight tools, including mechanical file preparation, and troubleshooting design files
- Have a positive attitude, communicate clearly and effectively, and are able to meet deadlines and work without being micromanaged
- Have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in book design, preferably non-fiction; Bachelor of Arts or design degree preferred but not required
Bonus points if you:
- Love literature (we do!) but enjoy other hobbies, too
- Are invigorated by creative collaboration and coming up with different design ideas
We value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
18 total views, 1 today