20 May 2021
Full-Time Foreign Policy: Wed Developer
Headquarters: Washington D.C.
Foreign Policy (FP), the premier news and analysis publication for international relations is seeking an experienced web developer to join our team. We’re a scrappy group looking for a candidate with broad experience to join our collaborative and entrepreneurial team. We welcome contributions from all team members, especially when developing and refining project requirements, and implementation methods.
If it’s part of the foreignpolicy.com domain, our team manages it. We assist in building our new editorial projects, and deliver custom experiences for external clients and FP Analytics, our internal research and consulting division. We’re constantly improving and enhancing the code that powers everything from newsletters to ads, and more.
The ideal candidate should have a solid understanding of user-centered design and user-experience best practices. You should be able to evaluate a project through the eyes of our readers and identify any areas that a reader may find confusing or frustrating, and build it in a way that is modern and sustainable as the web develops. And you’ll need to be able to balance building long-term projects while fixing bugs and supporting requests for minor updates.
Our office is based in Washington DC, but it’s ok if you are not. Remote candidates are encouraged to apply. The web developer will report to our Senior Developer.
We are considering candidates for part-time and full-time positions. In your cover letter, please indicate which you prefer.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Maintaining and improving our current codebase
- Adding new functionalities to our website
- Building special projects and features
- Strong communication, organization, and project management skills
- Ability to work independently
- Prioritize projects in order to meet deadlines
- Proficiency with Git code versioning and repository management
- Ability to accurately convert design files into functioning webpages, paying special attention to typography, spacing, layout, and responsive design
- A minimum of 5 years of experience and expert-level proficiency WordPress/PHP
- Proficiency in creating custom WordPress themes, custom post types, and admin customization using the Fieldmanager (or similar) plugin
- Proficiency interacting with RESTful APIs and formats (JSON, XML)
- Proficiency configuring and managing a local development server
Desired experience includes:
- WordPress VIP code review and deployment process
- Prior experience working in a media company and with an editorial newsroom
*Candidates must possess the legal right to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this opportunity.
Foreign Policy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/foreign-policy-wed-developer
43 total views, 1 today
Leave a Reply