25 Jan 2022
Freelance Help Scout: SEO Srategist
Well, hello! We’re Help Scout.
We make support software that empowers more than 12,000 businesses to support their customers in the most human, helpful way. We’re a remote company with 145+ employees in over 80 cities around the world, and we’ve been remote-first from day one. We believe that when teams represent different backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, magic happens. The result is better products and a culture that enables everyone to bring their authentic selves to work.
We’re looking for an SEO Strategist to own SEO for the entire company. SEO is a key channel for our brand, and we’ve put a lot of effort into it over the years. This isn’t a job where you have to come in and implement SEO from scratch. You’ll manage a site that already has a solid technical foundation and a ton of optimized, high-ranking content. Your job will be to maintain what’s already really strong, building on that foundation to help us continue to grow this channel.
For this position, we’re looking for someone with a background focused in on-page SEO. While you will assign technical SEO tasks to our team of front-end engineers and manage consultants who help with off-page SEO, the bulk of your time will be spent on content optimization.
About the role
The SEO Strategist role is a member of our Growth Marketing team, so in this role, you will ultimately be accountable for increasing revenue from organic search. While you’ll work closely with the Content team and will help optimize all of the content we publish, you’ll primarily focus on finding ways to drive qualified visitors to the site and encourage those visitors to request a demo or start a free trial of our product.
Please note that at this time, we are only able to hire in the following locations: United States, Canada, Australia, Finland, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, United Kingdom, Denmark, Germany, Norway.
This is a full-time, remote position.
Some of the work you may find yourself doing on a day-to-day basis includes
- Conducting keyword research to identify topics we should cover on the Help Scout Blog. This includes both top-of-funnel, learn-intent topics and lower-funnel, purchase-intent topics.
- Conducting search intent research for the keywords you prioritize and using that information to create detailed SEO briefs and outlines for our team of freelance and full-time writers.
- Monitoring rankings for the keywords we’re targeting so you can quickly make/request updates to important posts that are dropping in the rankings.
- Using tools like Screaming Frog, Google Search Console, and PageSpeed Insights to monitor the technical health of the site(Core Web Vitals, AMP, 404s, redirects, etc.), working with our front-end engineers to resolve any issues you find.
- Writing titles and meta descriptions for new marketing site pages and reviewing those pages to make sure they’re set up properly for SEO before they’re published.
- Managing the relationship with our off-page SEO consultant, prioritizing pages to focus on and making updates to posts to help with off-page initiatives.
- Making minor edits and updates to existing content to improve rankings, gain featured snippets and other SERP features, improve our internal linking strategy.
- Monitoring your key metrics(organic traffic, rankings, trials, demo requests, and — above all — revenue) and reporting on those metrics.
- You have at least three years of experience in a role focused on on-page SEO.
- You understand the basics of things like Core Web Vitals, HTTP response codes(301, 302, 404, etc.), and canonical URLs so you can provide guidance to our front-end engineers on technical SEO issues.
- You are highly collaborative and adept at working with multiple teams and individuals to get your work done. Very little of the work to be done in this role can be accomplished in a silo.
- You enjoy learning in your field — following SEO news and case studies — and know when a new Google change is something that needs to be addressed immediately and when it’s better to hold off on changes and see how things shake out before acting.
- We have an internal transparent salary matrix for each team. For this role, our bands are between $97,000 to $109,000 USD. Read more about how we approach compensation here!
Who You’ll Work With
- Jessica Greene, Director of Growth Marketing, will be your coach.
- You’ll also work closely with other members of the Growth Marketing team, the Content team (led by Kristen Bryant), the Brand Design team (led by Janie de Guzman), and the Product Marketing team (led by Alison Charles).
38 total views, 1 today